As I am often told, being vegetarian is a pain for people when I go to theirs for dinner. Despite Tom moaning a little, he made this extraordinary pasta dish especially for me, for which I am uber-grateful.
Courtesy of Tom, here it is!
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- handful of pine nuts
- some veggie cheese (as much as you fancy), finely grated
- olive oil
- This is so simple. Just chop the basil as finely as possible and put in a bowl.
- Chop the pine nuts to as close as a powder as possible. Add to the basil.
- Throw in the cheese.
- Mix all together with a dash of olive oil. Start with a small amount of it then add more if needed. It should resemble a paste. And there you have it! Home-made pesto.
- one batch home-made pesto
- 4/5 chestnut mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- two wheels of tagliatelli
- olive oil
- Pour some salted boiling water into a saucepan and add the pasta.
- About 5 minutes later, heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Throw in the mushrooms and sauté for a couple of minutes until soft. Add in the garlic.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and put back in the saucepan. Add in the garlic mushrooms and the home-made pesto and toss together until it’s all coated. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper and serve.
Voila! A lovely vegetarian pasta dish that’s tasty but not too time consuming.